Go Back   Project Reality Tournament Forums > IMPORTANT INFORMATION > Announcements & News

Welcome to the Project Reality Forums! Join the Project Reality forums! Contact Us

Closed Thread

Old 2016-12-19, 16:59   #31
Frontliner
C12 Member

Re: C12 - SITREP #2 - Official PR Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Denmark View Post
-snip-
Mariana Trench be like: "2 deep 4 me"
Old 2016-12-20, 08:22   #32
[R-COM]​Michael_Denmark
Retired PELA/CATA CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebCole View Post
Well, that escalated quickly.
Oh dear, no escalation deployed from my side. Right, communication between people not knowing each other.

Right, I am sorry if my attempt to follow up, on the playful remark, has been misunderstood.

A fun read that erection remark, making me smile all over the face, because it had that hint of something decisive, taken place in that penis forest. Thus, it was even more fun hereafter, trying to put together, my own little successor.

Clearly my intent, failed totally.

What can I say...well, it was my first timer, I probably got a bit carried away, when using the synonyms page, so I was not trying to provoke anyone, only to follow suit with a build up.

I hope you will forgive me and accept my apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
Mariana Trench be like: "2 deep 4 me"
Dont take it so seriously Frontliner, it were never meant as such. He deployed a funny remark, I tried to follow suit.

500 million combat boots... One heartbeat
Old 2016-12-20, 08:25   #33
[T-CON]​Raidonrai
Tournament Contributor

jesus christ
Old 2016-12-20, 09:41   #34
[R-COM]​Michael_Denmark
Retired PELA/CATA CO

OMG, lol, now you are doing it again.

See, I think that is funny.

Look folks, I clearly stepped on a mine here, unwillingly.

I regret I wrote it but I cannot change it back, except that is, to put stuff like this, on my Not 2 Do List....when I read that erection remark, I was like, finally someone with humor.

Gentlemen, I hope you will not take it seriously, there was and is nothing seriously about it, I simply made a mistake.

Old 2016-12-20, 11:11   #35
Filamu
Task Force Member

No mistake here, I think most are very pleased and are following closely with a keen interest.
Old 2016-12-27, 12:30   #36
[R-COM]​Michael_Denmark
Retired PELA/CATA CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filamu View Post
No mistake here, I think most are very pleased and are following closely with a keen interest.
All right, back again.

No mistake here - very pleased - following closely - keen interest, - and all deployed in a short sentence. Fascinating stuff Filamu, I respectfully thank you for it too.

However, maybe not as fascinating as your contribution to the APN defense, on Operation Marlin, you know, after the loss of the TV station. That smaller building you deployed onto, in Delta 7, - you surely got some good kills from there. Good shooting and use of opportunities.

In fact, when you think of it, that phase of the APN defense, from around 03:07, seemed quite solid.

Maybe that type of defensive setup, in distanced positions, like a matrix, is more the APN defensive style, than a solid line formation, as seen in last battle?

Old 2016-12-31, 16:24   #37
Senshi
Lead Admin / Retired EMC CO

Defensive formation is much more about the terrain.

In cities, there always are key structures that allow control of a large area and are easy to defend. In open forest/fields, there's very few hard structures to assist a defense. And those few are well known and usually mortar crews and/or recon has plans to quickly demolish any troops using them. So individual SQL initiative is much more important in recognizing and using impromptu defensive positions. Elastic defense is another great tactic, though it is very hard to implement in PR.
The type and number of fire support also plays a huge role in how defenses can be organized. On Wanda Shan, the only fire support was mortars and the area attack, and both teams relied a lot on those.
Old 2017-01-02, 09:29   #38
[R-COM]​Michael_Denmark
Retired PELA/CATA CO

Yes, the terrain certainly play a large part, when deploying for defense. Cities are generally speaking, easy to defend, although I have always preferred water obstacles above any other type of terrain. Cities can be captured quite fast, actually, when using detailed assault approaches.
In my experience, the best way to take out a city defense, as on Burning Sands, is to defeat the defender, instead of destroying him. Thus to me at least, two very different approaches, in fact almost opposite, on both the operational and tactical level.

Anyway, I agree that in a situation as the one we saw unfolding on Wanda Shan, the individual squad leader initiative, were in several situations important, although the multiple directional, commander coordinated attack, at the end of the round, literally squeezing the APN defense to termination, proofed to be decisive.

So when taking into account, both the tactical situation, the ticket balance, plus the timing, that final assault was beautiful executed. Quite inspiring for a defender type of CO player, like my self.

When that is said, I have to say though, that it was still a close call. I mean, had the APN had one single counter procedure available, for such a "compression" scenario, then I think the assault would have failed. Because these types of assaults, can through defensive measures, be deflected.

The way for me, to perceive the terrain, on Wanda Shan, as for instance a city map, or even a water map, is the way forward, in order to create the type of defensive formation, as the APN used, so successfully on Operation Marlin. I perceive Wanda Shan as an Island map, where the valleys are the water and the forested hills are the islands / buildings.

I have not walked the map yet, so I am not sure what type of music that relate to it the best?

Perhaps, on a map like Wanda, the fire support constitute the elastic defense component, while the infantry plus the air and ground vehicles, constitute the potential threats, deployed in such a mobile manner, that they will force the attacker into killing zones of indirect fire?

Not sure of course, just thinking loud.

In terms of speed, rhythm and tone, maybe this piece of music is Wanda Shan? - related to the operational definitions of the map and the attached tactics, emerging out of that framework?

Old 2017-01-02, 09:43   #39
Senshi
Lead Admin / Retired EMC CO

Of course you can deny assaults. But it's harder than it seems, because you have limited information and limited time to react.
Minor mistakes in recon and subsequent squad repositionings, or plain bad luck can mean all the difference between throwing back an assault ( and thus causing major losses to the attacker), or holding a position too long, risking major losses on the defensive side. The same is true for the attacker: Over-committing to an already-bogged-down assault can quickly turn into a ticket-grinder due to continuous squadwipes.

An offensive does not inherently favor one side, it simply increases both risk and possible rewards. There's a reason why this has been (and still is) discussed for centuries in military science.
Old 2017-01-02, 10:11   #40
[R-COM]​Michael_Denmark
Retired PELA/CATA CO

True words. Limited information and limited time to react, minor mistakes or bad luck often become decisive in a static situation, as on Wanhda Shan. In that type of situation, where the focus has deployed it self onto the tactical level of the dynamic, the overall picture of the battle can be very hard to read correctly.

Who knows, maybe the APN wanted the EMC to exploit the open southern flank, but somehow failed to deliver on the coordination or communication level?

Quote:
An offensive does not inherently favor one side, it simply increases both risk and possible rewards. There's a reason why this has been (and still is) discussed for centuries in military science.
True again. However, that is not my point, instead being, that the offensive is not even necessary on a map like Wanda Shan. Neither is the defense. Both are irrelevant to each other. Because both focus on destroying, instead of defeating.

Closed Thread

Tags
c12, official, sitrep, tournament