Go Back   Project Reality Tournament Forums > IMPORTANT INFORMATION > Announcements & News

Welcome to the Project Reality Forums! Join the Project Reality forums! Contact Us

Old October 14th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #11
[T-ADM]Senshi
Lead Admin / Retired EMC CO

Re: C13 #1 Prep Battle Dovre

Signups are open. Not a lot of slots, though...
Old October 15th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #12
[T-CON]Aleon
Retired MRF CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrkidding View Post
I remember that as a good battle for my squad at least, fought a bunch of time in the forest east of the castle and then fell back to reinforce it and fought along the walls to repel a good off the North and then South walls.
And I made both Alex, and you confused as fuck trying to figure out how to into commanding. What a lovely battle that was.
Aleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #13
[R-COM]Michael_Denmark
Retired PELA/CATA CO

Commenting on the first 15 minutes of play, the northern sector on the Dovre map. I am trying to bring in both the tactical and operational level to the analysis. Please let me know if I am offending anyone. Not my intention to offend. I have played as commander my self, for 1 campaign, so I know how stressful it can be and how fragile one can feel. I lost battles too.

RPX North
Numbers: 15 players organised in two and a half squad:
Fisen 6 infantry
Philrow 6 infantry
Robernani 4 infantry
Area force advantagde: Two full squads coordinating and working closely together as one entity. These two squads constituted the Main Line of resistance. Additionally, also early warning from a half-squad operating more than 1 Main Grid away from the Main Line of resistance. FOB created closely behind the Main Line of Resisstance.
Area force disadvantage: No forces in the northern rear and an unsuccessful tactical setup against even light vehicles.

The operational level
RPX deployed two closely working 6 man infantry squads as a defensive unit, guarding the main Dovre road in the north. In front of them, a third half-squad deployed for active screening, harassing and scouting. This setup created an operational depth and provided RPX with a defensive advantagde.

The tactical level
Both the two defensive and the active RPX squad, lacked its own tactical depth. The two defensive squads in particulary, should have used at least one active rear trooper. Just like Pmonkeys nabo squad further south (RPX center), used in his squad.

VOG North
Numbers: 9 players organised in one non-full squad and one fire team
Buttermilch 4 motorised infantry
Jaeger 5 infantry
Advantagde: Significant higher mobility factor, allowing for the transport of at least four players at the time. Also getting one full transport of four players, in behind the RPX Main Line of resisstance. The infantry element successfully defeated the RPX early warning half-squad. Without own losses that is!
Disadvantage: The two non-full squads never coordinated or worked together. Also no backup unit guarded the northern VOG flank. So after both squads were defeated by the RPX defence, the flank was open. No VOG FOB was deployed in the area. This prolonged the VOG reaction-time to reinforce the area.

The operational level
What in my opinion lacked on the operational level, was a single first-phase VOG focus in the area. A focus either supporting a breakin, a breakthrough or an infiltration. The infiltration actually partly succeded.

But taking into account the small numbers of players allocated to the area, the operational focus should not have focused on both infiltration, screening and attempting to breakin also. Too many missions for too few soldiers. With a little twist, one could maybe use the old famous quote from Frederick The Great, stating that (He who defends everything defends nothing) and change it into (He who attacks everything attacks nothing)?

The tactical level
Tactical speaking Jeagers squad screened the northern VOG wing quite successfully, which makes it important to ask if the RPX blocking position could have been defeated by both Buttermilchs and Jagers coordinated assault.

Although both VOG squads succeeded in their first mission, they both failed in their next. Buttermilch passed 15 enemy troops and deployed a spawn in the RPX rear. Not completly sure, but hereafter he had the vehicle repaired, while at the same time moving south into the rear of the entire RPX team.

500 million combat boots... One heartbeat

Last edited by Michael_Denmark; Today at 01:51 PM. Reason: attemting to create a form for future battle coments - editing a lot
Michael_Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battle, c13, dovre, prep