PDA

View Full Version : Making night maps competitive

Aleon
January 9th, 2017, 04:57 PM
In light of Fools' Road Inf being played next, a bit of a turmoil occurred regarding visibility on night maps. Since, as far as I can tell, there is no official stance from the admins or the teams' high commands (and multiple SLs stated that they will use tricks to negate the sub optimal visibility of the night layout) I think it's fair to level the playing field by letting everyone know that this is a thing. So there: You can change your display settings to see better. And it's OK to do so.

The main problem is that the visibility you get is very heavily dependent on your monitor's display technology, color profile, display settings, your graphics card's display settings, etc. It's impossible* to provide a common baseline, and I can guarantee you that some people will find that they can see just fine on Fools' Road even at long distances, while others may find most statics blending into a black mess. Therefore the only fair way of playing the map is everyone setting their gamma in a away they find it comfortable. If you are still not convinced, and think that this is somehow cheating, think about it as the visual equivalent of turning up your audio. A lot of people turn up game volume to hear footsteps, healing, or vehicles at ridiculous ranges. This is no different, the game already shows you everything you can see, except due to hardware differences some people can perceive more of this, than others.

If you are a dirty cheater unlicky guy who can't see properly with their normal settings, you just have to increase your gamma to set a reasonable amount of darkness that doesn't hinder your spotting skills. There are multiple ways to do this, depending on your hardware.

If you are an NVidia guy, like me, you can do it trough your NVIDIA control panel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61eIfu0JmmQ). I'm pretty sure AMD has something similar. You can also change the physical settings on your monitor, using the button menus that most displays have (if you are on a desktop).

Below you can see some examples of advantage you gain by changing gamma. Again, this was captured on my computer and my settings. It's completely possible that you find little difference between the two images. Maybe on your monitor, both images are just fine, or both images are way too dark. That's the whole point of this ramble. People who have similar settings to mine will see the first image way too dark, and the second one significantly brighter. You should look for two dead militia bodies, see if you can spot them on the dark image first.

gamma = 0.98 (my regular desktop setting)
http://orig01.deviantart.net/1a79/f/2017/009/5/9/second_orig_by_elfoglalt-daut0d1.png

gamma = 1.3
http://orig05.deviantart.net/98f3/f/2017/008/2/a/second_gammaup_by_elfoglalt-daupi37.png

*Unless we all play using the same hardware with the same settings, and everyone's display individually calibrated. Getting accurate and consistent visuals across digital displays is a complicated problem, that involved hundreds of dollars worth of calibration equipment, and a lot of technical issues.

Geronimo
January 9th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Thanks for posting this Aleon. Now that everyone knows about it no one can gain an advantage anymore and no one has to feel guilty for using it.

Frontliner
January 9th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Lighting 1 is ok too? Need to increase my shitty FPS.

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Murkey
January 9th, 2017, 05:55 PM
To be honest, I don't intend to change anything on my settings, but to be even more honest, my screen probably looks as bright as the second example.

We've had a lot of good sportsmanship so far this campaign, so lets try to keep that spirit by avoiding drama and not taking the piss with broad-daylight gamma settings.

Cheers, Murkey.

Senshi
January 9th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Gamma does not grant you an inherent benefit. It gives a benefit to those players who either have bad displays or have badly calibrated displays. And almost everyone falls into at least the second category.
Players who have properly calibrated displays will probably have a harder time seeing anything when cranking up gamma and thus won't use this "trick".

Hence making everyone aware of this possibility is the only and best thing to do in terms of "sportsmanship". It simply is not possible to "forbid" it. Aleon's comparison with the sound tweaks is excellent: Good sound settings (and good sound hardware) can bumps your "skill" by a fair margin, but (almost) nobody considers it cheating.

ytman
January 9th, 2017, 08:03 PM
I'm not touching this with a 12 meter stick. People will do what they do and the map does a poor job at representing the night and low light conditions.

Thank you Aleon for posting this in the open, something I know would not have been afforded us as has been implied in previous posts hand-wringing over 'guilt'.

mectus11
January 9th, 2017, 09:27 PM
You're all filthy cyka blyat hackers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSGnGL8JU0) to me.

gwaihir
January 9th, 2017, 11:37 PM
the problem is not the visual tweaking by increasing the gamma value. the problem is that its a PRT which means those visual tweaks will meet good comms in battle. do we really want that? we all know what happens then :P
(sorry i couldnt help myself )

fecht_niko
January 10th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Good players dont have to change their gamma, all you need is good comms and spotting

Senshi
January 10th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Sh, don't take my hopes away.
I am fully expecting to finally get my first recorded kill, and it will all be thanks to Lord Gamma. Faith is important.

Suff
January 10th, 2017, 08:13 PM
Topic should be: "Using software to get allowed advantage on night maps". But yeah, finally some people in our squad from reserve will get to play cuz others passed. Sad that bad PRT experience though

Merchant
January 13th, 2017, 06:46 AM
You're all filthy cyka blyat hackers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSGnGL8JU0) to me.

Talking 'bout Cyka Blyat... for those who haven't seen it yet: ImE8wHxTtpA

I still get a laugh outta this one :)