PDA

View Full Version : Wireless gaming headset

Senshi
December 21st, 2016, 09:39 AM
Anyone have experience, recommendations?

Wireless would be preferable over bluetooth, as range should cover the whole flat w/o issues.

Price should be ~200 max, but could exceed if there's a sizeable quality gain (price/value).

Battery should last a hardcore gaming day (10h), being able to charge while gaming is a plus.
Mic quality should be good to excellent, and a convenient way to mute (w/o "mute clicking noise") is a plus. Has to be directional and/or very good noise cancellation (might be other people in the room).

Headset should be closed or semi-open (filter background noise), and wrap around the ears (not on-ear). Comfortable wear for long sessions is also a must. No sweaty ears, please.

Looks are not important (no flashy lights needed).

Very good (positional) game audio is obviously most important , but it should also be decent at music (does not have to please hifi-enthusiasts ) for chill time.

Current top contender of my research is the Logitech G930. Seems like it fits most of the bill, and is considerably cheaper than the competition.

Vista
December 21st, 2016, 11:14 AM
Why wireless? For cheaper (around the same price) you can pick up a sennheiser G4ME ZERO, the best headset in the market...

But if you want to be a weirdo, yes, the G933 is probably the best wirelesss headset you can buy for that price. (I own the G930).

Also, why are you talking about the G930? The G933 is the updated version of the G930... (https://www.amazon.de/Logitech-Kabelloses-professionelles-7-1-Surround-Sound-4-GHz-Verbindung/dp/B015HG77FC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482315386&sr=8-1&keywords=G933)

AlonTavor
December 21st, 2016, 02:00 PM
Digital Wireless headsets come with extra latency. I measured my Sennheiser HDR160 at about extra 50ms. The disadvantage in FPS games is very minimal, but it makes playing instruments and rhythm games impossible with it. Look into it before you buy, Manufacturers will hide the fact.

Analog wireless isn't too bad if you're sitting <1m from the transmitter.

If you go for the closed headset, be prepare to get used to not hearing yourself when you talk. It can get really confusing.

Delta1292
December 21st, 2016, 02:45 PM
I use the steelseries Siberia 840, quite probably out of the price range above but it's a pretty decent bit of kit. I'm on my second one in 5 years or so, I got frustrated after breaking other headsets by standing up or walking away and forgetting I had them on.

I'm not an audiophile but to me the quality is really good,i very rarely have issues identifying sounds or locations when I'm gaming. I'm not sure on the battery life but the base station charges a second battery while you're playing meaning even if your battery runs out it takes like 20s max to swap batteries. A neat thing is that the batteries charge quicker than the headset uses them meaning there is always a full one good to go.

My only criticism is the mic. The quality is ok (I think) but it's one of those pull out mics rather than a flip up one which means that after a couple of years of being pulled in and out the wires can get a bit fragile. Other than that it's super comfortable and I have to say one if my favourite headsets.

AFAIK the siberia 800 is the same as the 840 but doesn't have the Bluetooth functionality.

Psykogundam
December 21st, 2016, 05:02 PM
i think with wireless headsets most of them come with a usb cable anyway, so you can play with it while it charges, then take the cable out.

i have no experience with docked ones. but i purchased a new wireless one last week called a Turtle Beach PX3 and its pretty good. nice and snug, no fiddly bits, sturdy, and no cheap rubber that comes off in flakes, it has the texture of a soft car seat. and the bass is good, but id prefer to volume to be blasting.

it came with a bag of additional wires, but its very straight forward and it detects when its quiet after a couple of minutes it will automatically power down the headset to save energy.

Its too soon to say exactly but i do recommend this one. I got it in a second hand store though it had not been previously worn and the box was pristine. €70 online, i got it for €50

Stark38
December 21st, 2016, 05:15 PM
I have a G930 and I love being able to get up from my computer and walk to the kitchen while still talking on Skype or TS.

Be advised though that the range of the headset entirely depends on how saturated your environment is. Running microwaves will create interference, as well as too many independent Wifi access points (i.e., if you're in a big apartment building.) When I lived at home I could get a signal several rooms away, but in my apartment I lose signal at half the distance.

Mouthpiece
December 21st, 2016, 05:22 PM
My experiences have all been bad. But the last one was like 8 years ago, so I don't know how the tech has advanced. The greatest problem was the excess noise generated from the wi-fi connection interference. Though the headphones were not the cheapest (~40 eur), you had to dial in the frequency like on a AM/FM radio.

Yrkidding
December 21st, 2016, 06:20 PM
I don't know how big your flat is but I'd like to propose an alternate that is significantly cheaper.

I'm currently using Turtle Beach X12 headphones which are designed for both Xbox or PC use. They have a super long cord which lets me use them all around the main area of my apartment (my computer is in the living room and I consistently use them pacing around my living room, on the balcony, or in the kitchen), pretty solid sound quality (though I would trust the ears of attuned reviewers over my own), great mic quality, I've always found them really comfortable (the 1st review agrees with me there, where the second one slightly disagrees, and I believe he's wrong from personal experience using these over the past 2 years).

It has an in-line control that lets you adjust your overall volume, you won't be using the "chat volume" dial (unless you use these with a console where you can individually control the in-game voice chat and game volume). There's a "Bass Boost" button that allows you to adjust your bass. Finally, there's a mic-mute button which you can use with voice activation on TS for example to mute your mic and have a "push to talk" of sorts that I use all the time to good effect (even if I occasionally forget to mute my mic when a bus passes while I'm on the balcony, much to the displeasure of those I'm conversing with lol).

The 2nd review mentions one "hiss" sound downside, and I found a really simple solution to that, basically it uses a USB to power it plus a green cord to plug into sound and a red for mic. Plugging the USB into the computer will result in that hissing sound, but I have my computer plugged into a power bar and I had a 5ft or so usb extension cord as well as a spare USB to power plug converter that I'd used for a cell phone and just plugged the USB into the power bar and boom no hissing. One small extra step, and you might have to buy the USB extension cord but that's still cheaper than the extra money (and associated disadvantages such as latency) you'd be spending to go wireless.

I think these offer you the mobility you're looking for, never have to worry about charging (which is something that turned me off wireless), good mic and sound quality, and you can see what the headphones look like in the review. As far as the mic and background noise goes, it doesn't really filter background stuff out but if you're using push-to-talk or take advantage of the mic mute button as a push-to-talk while walking around the apartment when other people are around you'll be fine. As I mentioned, my computer is in the living room (and actually right next to the TV) and I've had no problems over the past couple years like this.

Here are some reviews I found:
Review 1 (http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming-headset-headphone-reviews/turtle-beach-ear-force-x12-review/)
Review 2 (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/turtle-beach-ear-force-x12,review-2778.html)

AlonTavor
December 21st, 2016, 10:36 PM
My experiences have all been bad. But the last one was like 8 years ago, so I don't know how the tech has advanced. The greatest problem was the excess noise generated from the wi-fi connection interference. Though the headphones were not the cheapest (~40 eur), you had to dial in the frequency like on a AM/FM radio.

Digital headphones have no extra static noise.

Senshi
December 22nd, 2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the plethora of comments!

@Vista: The G933 is apparently no better than the G930 (some claim it to be worse), and costs 50% more. Also it looks like shit.

@Alon: Latency can be 50-70ms, that is true. However, that is rarely relevant for me, I think.

@Delta: The Siberia 800 would be a top contender if I didn't fear for the microphone: The pull in/out is bad for the wires as you correctly said, but apparently it also doesn't have the best noise cancelling, picking up game or background noise. I think that's a no-go for that hefty pricetag (more than double of the G930), though I would really like to love the Siberia 800...

@Kidding: Also an interesting solution, but that's exactly what I don't want :) . I want to get rid of that annoying wire entirely, allowing free-roam without getting the cable stuck everywhere (and on me) every now and again. and I certainly don't want to drag the wire all over my home :/ .

Convenient way to mute mic (or fantastic noise filtering) is something I definitely don't want to miss, because I will always use voice activation (fuck push-to-talk plebs!): My previous headset (GameCom 388) had a very easy-to-reach-and-use mic mute switch, my current one (Cloud X) has amazing noise cancellation - I can eat loud food (chips, apples, whatever) without moving the mic away and it doesn't register. Am still amazed by that. And while the mute button sucks, I can just move&rotate the mic away on its flexible arm and then it doesn't even pick up sneezes or other earbleed noises.

mectus11
December 22nd, 2016, 12:09 PM
Kidding's headset is quite nice, we could hear him sing from the shower once and I think I have a recording of that somewhere :P

Portable
December 22nd, 2016, 03:54 PM
Ive been using these for 3/4 years now.

http://www.corsair.com/en/corsair-gaming-h2100-wireless-dolby-7-1-gaming-headset-greyhawk-eu

Great range and battery life. I get 10ish hours out of them on a charge and can walk around the house with them on just about anywhere. Unless they get to close to the microwave, then there is some distortion.

I love being able to grab that drink and still hear the squad / game sounds. Let's you know how quickly to run back to the computer.

SgtTetgmeyer
December 23rd, 2016, 07:02 AM
G930 comes with a like 6 foot/3M long USB 3.0 cord so if you have a phone or some shit that uses that to charge its real nice.

PMonkey
December 27th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Recommendation out of left field -

Sony PS4 Wireless Gold Bluetooth headset.
https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Gold-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-4/dp/B00HVBPRUO

Connect with a USB dongle or a 3.5mm jack when its recharging.
Battery life 8 hours.
Light and easy on the head.
Can be used with any USB device.
Has 2 preset sound modes, I use one for music one for gaming.
Stereo sound is all I really need in PR - headset simulates 7.1 when used with a Sony device only.
Mute button, and volume adjust, as well as chat vs game sound volume mix adjust. Ideal when you're in a chopper and don't want to escape to game settings..

Why am I recommending this?

Its approx 60-80 bucks and it's more than enough for games like PR.

Spook
December 28th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Wireless peripherals and

hardcore gaming

don't mix. You'll just degrade to a casual pleb!

Portable
December 28th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Going wireless has been so freeing.

Nothing like taking a shit and still talking shit on discord.

bagfragr
January 3rd, 2017, 06:06 PM
I started off with a table mic, and some crappy ass 10€ headsets. Then I bought Creative Tactic3D Rage wireless headset, while it was pretty decent it was only that at best. And also the shape of my head really didn't like the "soft" pillow on the headset.

And in 2015 I decided it's time for me to upgrade. A friend of mine had Astro A50's and he let me try them on. They were awesome. Comfortable, and great audio and mic. I was sold, but the price was very high, so I didn't buy them until they came on Black Friday sale in -15. Now I've had the A50's for over a year, and even though I still prefer using normal 2.1 speakers I cannot recommend them enough.

Generally I also dislike wireless things. I just don't trust them, but a wireless headset is definately something where the pros outweigh the cons. Also going to take a shit, without missing out on the briefing is quite nice, like others mentioned. ;) ...But in conclusion, I'd say this is one of those things that you shouldn't cheap out on (not saying you are), but you have to be prepared to sit 3-8 hours with them on. And if they are badly designed, trust me, it will hurt like hell.

Edit:
To also address your needs the A50 has:

-Decent range, about 20 metres without wall (tried by chilling outside, listening to music with window open) But range goes down rapidly with obstacles. For me it goes through 3-ish walls to my bathroom ~5M away, and that's about max.

-Battery life about 8 hours-ish (Never timed it, but on a fresh charge, works fine while gaming into the night. (edit#2: Can also be used while plugged in, as "conventional" headset. just make sure you remember to unplug when going to take a dump ;))

-Mic quality is excellent IMO, others can input, since I rarely listen to myself. I think it's directional, but it may sometimes pick up things from the room. But generally quite good filtering. Also it replays some of your own voice through the headset so it sounds more natural, since you can hear yourself talking normally as well... But something that you won't even notice in use.

-Muting is done by turning the mic boom "pointing up". Can have some slight scratch sound, but is generally silent. (I think)

-Headset is on ears, and very comfortable. Cups and top "pillow" is some soft cotton-ish fabric, so no sweaty leather.

-No flashy lights, except Halo edition is tacticool green with golden accents.

-It has Dolby surround if audio is taken via USB, or normal stereo via AUX or SPDIF connection. Also has pre-defined equalizer with 3 settings. I use only the ones with good bass for music, and gaming mode for gaming. Changes via a slide switch on the headset. Very good quality for non-professional use.

-Also has balance changer for in-game sounds and comms (Skype, TS, Mumble(?) etc.) So if you can't hear the people, you can change the balance of comms/game sounds on the fly.

Generally a 9/10 product, but the yuuuge price is the main downside.

Phoenix[UK]
January 8th, 2017, 08:45 PM
G933 was expensive but its solid. Got it for 120 on sale on Logitechs own site.

PeppeJ
January 19th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I'd advise against the G933. My friend bought a pair and while they're pretty much the same as the G930, somehow the mic is REALLY bad on that one compared to the G930's mic. Not sure what they did but they sure fucked up. I'm quite happy with my G930 though and I think they're worth the money. They're quite weak on the headphone ear swivel though and I've had to repair mine with super glue when it broke off. Simple fix, but now I can't rotate the right ear.

There are a few issue with the drivers when the headset runs completely dry, such as I can't charge and use the headphones when they're dead and I plug the charger in. But when I wait 5 minutes I can use it and charge afterwards. The other major issue is that the mic mute button sometimes don't work, but simply rebooting the headset fixes that.

Note that I never use the 7.1 surround because I think it's pretty shit.

Senshi
January 19th, 2017, 08:09 PM
nobody should ever buy the g933. it's clear that it's almost exactly the same as the g930, just redesigned to be "flashy" and appealing to the CS skin-buyer kiddie gamers. All at the cost of some functionality ( = mic ) and build quality.