PDA

View Full Version : Play It Smart! - Gameplay Analysis

Onil
November 11th, 2016, 03:40 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17092517/PRT/Twitch_Smart.png (https://www.twitch.tv/0nil)

"Play it Smart!" Is a VOD type of stream (https://www.twitch.tv/0nil) where we'll focus on giving a few Tips, showing a few Tricks, sharing map Intel and analyzing PR Gameplay.

The PRT Community will suggest some of the content to be shown here and I will invite some of its members to participate in the live discussions.

The general objective of the show is to create an incentive for players to be more curious and creative in how they practice and play PR. To put it simple, we want players to think outside the box and come up with new ideas, tricks and tactics. That will lead to improving their effectiveness and experience.

For the content of each stream I will review the gameplay of the previous PRT Battle, followed by a few tips related to the map that was played in it. I will also sometimes show a few tricks related to the map or factions used in the battle.

There is no schedule for when the stream will be live, except that I will attempt to do it on the 1st Friday of a Battlecycle so that I have close to a week to analyze the replay of the previous battle. Anyone can join and ask questions on the Twitch Stream and I will try to answer them but I will always focus first on the content that I chose to show. If there is no audience, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference since the stream will be published as a highlight so that anyone can go and watch it at a later time.

I will also be doing some testing on the battle map, prior to the actual battle and anyone can join me on TS whenever they see me on the "Pick My Brain - Testing Sessions" to get some of the intel early on. Again there is no schedule for those, I do them when I have the time and will.

Have any questions about this project? Have any suggestions for content? Would like to be a guest on the show? Feel free to contact me about it.

Cheers ;)

Here's the List of Episodes so far:

Play it Smart! Ep 1 Part 1 - Gameplay Analysis - Marlin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6AG_pUzNPg)
Play it Smart! Ep 1 Part 2 - Tips & tricks - Marlin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uoOvzr-g7g)

Onil
November 11th, 2016, 03:41 PM
First show will be tonight, hopefully starting at 19h00 PRT and focused on the 1st Prep Battle.

n6AG_pUzNPg

Alexswesnipr
November 11th, 2016, 08:44 PM
I liked it alot! It made me see stuff in the battle that I didn't myself. Too bad so few were watching and I would definitely recommend anyone from the teams to have a look at this. It's a must for the recon squads even, I would say. Made me really want to try out recon in a battle!

Some general feedback:
-most of it was good analysis of recon and various other units that are easy to recognize. During these part it really shows the work and thought you put into this, and it's really interesting.
-On some occasions you just showed the recording, with no commentary. It would be interesting to hear speculations or any commentary during this. For example during the part on the failed monastery assault, you could've talked about why it failed, what approaches could've been taken and so on. Same thing with the APN failed insertion, you said that they would be killed. After that, showing them getting killed and silence. That's not so interesting, they just get killed.
-When you're showing the scoreboard, you could've made it bigger. Would make it easier to see:)
-What are you using for streaming? Surely, you could've loaded up PR before and setting up? Would've made the transition smoother.
-the bitrate during the PR part was quite bad when you were moving, not sure what to do about that

What I personally would like to see:
More speculation/analysis on the whole battle/infantry. But that would indeed take more time. You addressed this, but I would like to see it from you, as a bystander.
I didn't really like that the PR part was so focused on balconies. Would much rather see roofs or location that doesn't require a rope/roofs that require a bit of jumping.

Onil
November 11th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I could have analyzed some engagements a bit more but it would make the stream too big and when I was silence and letting the engagements play out, I was looking at my notes on what to show and say next.

I will try to use squad selection and bigger score board next time. But loading up PR sooner wouldn't have made much of a difference because I wanted to stop the stream and restart it to avoid having to cut the footage later on. And I wanted to take a piss while the map was loading :D

Regarding roof jumping, there is nothing too difficult on this map or too surprising for anyone looking for it. That's something that can be done on another map like Muttrah perhaps. I also didn't want to extend the stream too much so I focused on the one thing people don't think of and don't use, the balconies.

I can try and do some gameplay analysis more focused on team deployment and tactics in another map but as I said later one, I want to invite others to do those too because I'm really just a recon guy, not so much into normal infantry stuff.

I will look into the bitrate thing and try to fix that.

AlonTavor
November 11th, 2016, 10:54 PM
I will look into the bitrate thing and try to fix that.

Do 30fps, its pointless to do 45 as most people are with 60hz screen anyways, frame timings are off. If you don't have a good upload speed, just stick to 720p. It'll look much better.

I like the idea and I liked the show, but there just isn't enough people in the PR community for a livestream when you're not BD42. Consider just doing a Youtube series instead.

Onil
November 12th, 2016, 12:06 AM
Well, I'm just used to Twitch and it's live in case someone wants to ask questions while its being recorded. I don't expect to get many people watching it live but they can always watch it later just like on youtube.

I just watched it and found 2 or 3 mistakes when I said Mortars instead of Recon or Tank instead of HAT... but yeah, shit happens.

Regarding my OBS settings, is my bad bitrate due to having it setup for 45 fps? I do have a pretty good upload speed but if it makes no difference in quality and is even causing the bitrate issue, I will lower it to 30 fps.

Ghrane
November 12th, 2016, 12:52 AM
If you're streaming to Twitch, it doesn't care in what resolution you stream, it is about the bitrate.
When I stream Battlefield 1 for example, I play the game in 2560x1440 and stream it in that resolution as well and with a 2200 bitrate and 60fps, works fine with me because my pc and internet speed can handle that.

But playing the game in fullscreen and output the stream into 720p takes a lot of your performance, you'll get framedrops in OBS (Is what I use) and ingame.
So try to play in fullscreen, output the stream in the same resolution, 45/60 fps, depends what works for you and atleast 2100 bitrare (2100 = 3g speed), you could go for higher too.

Onil
November 12th, 2016, 01:31 AM
Yeah I think the bitrate was at 1000 so that's why. I put it at 2500 now.

I would say that I have a pretty good connection. Its a 100mb connection so I usually get between 20 and 50 mb/s upload for example when connecting to a German server.

So what bitrate should I use?

AlonTavor
November 12th, 2016, 01:47 AM
3000 at 720p60fps or 1080p30fps.

Are you using NVENC or x264?

Spriggan44
November 12th, 2016, 09:02 AM
interesting
maybe you could give your mouse cursor a bright color, so it is easyer to follow it

Senshi
November 12th, 2016, 10:00 AM
https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software#Encoder%20Settings

Ghrane
November 12th, 2016, 01:14 PM

3000 is too much, people with bad internet speed could have problems 'downloading' the data to view the stream.

I think 2500 is just fine, and I do recommend NVENC.

ShanTheMan
November 12th, 2016, 02:01 PM
New Player here..thanks for your work and analysis, very useful.

WebCole
November 12th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I think you need a co-analyst or two, one from each team maybe? :p

Alexswesnipr
November 12th, 2016, 02:14 PM
What I meant about the balconies part, was that it wasn't so varied.

Onil
November 12th, 2016, 03:06 PM

I'm using x264 at the moment and 1920x1080 resolution without downscale. Should I use 3000 bitrate then?

EDIT: changed it to NVENC now.

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software#Encoder%20Settings

Thanks for the link ;)

Onil
November 12th, 2016, 03:07 PM
interesting
maybe you could give your mouse cursor a bright color, so it is easyer to follow it

Yeah I noticed that too, I have a small cursor and a bigger one would be more noticeable.

Onil
November 12th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I think you need a co-analyst or two, one from each team maybe? :p

Definitely, specially with different points of view.

For Burning Sands I think I might focus mostly on Armor, it would be good to have someone with me that will focus on normal infantry engagements and tactics ;)

Mouthpiece
November 13th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Ye, the more people in this cast, the better. Anyway, thank you Onil for sharing your knowledge. I actually didn't know people analyze PR in such aspecsts as balconies. Really useful info though, thinking out of the box.

I'd really want to see more focus on combined arms, not just recon. That's just my cup of tea.

Michael_Denmark
November 18th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Very good and needed idea, thank you for stepping up and taking the initiative. Perhaps it should be announced in the main forums too?

I hope that among all the tournament participants and registered users, we will see more people stepping up as commentators - now we have the tool to do it with.

Hm, not sure though I would have liked it my self, my plan and execution being commented on, was I playing as CO, but that is probably my ego and insecurity weighing in here? Did not like the Supreme Commander idea too, back in C5, when the admins presented it to us.

But all in all a very positive addition, no doubt on that account. Thanks again.

Onil
November 20th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Anyone here interested in helping out in this project?

I need someone to check the youtube video and get the times of the important stuff to add to the description. It's just checking the times of the bookmarks and finding them in the video to get the youtube video times to be used as link.

This was suggested for me to add and I do think it can be useful but I don't have the time to do it since I have to focus on the content for the next stream.

AlonTavor
November 20th, 2016, 03:20 PM
If you need the incomplete bookmarks menu again, put this in console to open it, I've only hidden the button:

$('#bookmarksMenu').dialog('open')

Won't have much time to work on it anytime soon.

Merchant
November 20th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Anyone here interested in helping out in this project?

I need someone to check the youtube video and get the times of the important stuff to add to the description. It's just checking the times of the bookmarks and finding them in the video to get the youtube video times to be used as link.

This was suggested for me to add and I do think it can be useful but I don't have the time to do it since I have to focus on the content for the next stream.

Sure, what do you want to find? Time at start of Red Balconies Bldg, then Green Balconies Bldg? Are we talking about the Marlin balconies video?

Onil
November 20th, 2016, 10:54 PM
I'm talking about the gameplay analysis on the first Prep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6AG_pUzNPg

Basically all I need is the video times for when I start to explain each bookmark. You can see the bookmarks list with the times for each topic and you can see the actual round time on top.

So for example the first bookmark time is 3:58 - Mosque Fight and I start talking about that in the video at 5:07. So that's the time I need: "5:07 - Mosque Fight" to put in the description so that people can click it and go directly to that part of the video if they only want to watch that specific part.

Merchant
November 21st, 2016, 05:42 AM
Try this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C0y6jzpCjI2fmyLjwGtlBKV2VWJ0-cWcMphekDoMYto/edit?usp=sharing

Onil
November 21st, 2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks Merchant, appreciate the help.

Already added it to the video description.

Onil
November 21st, 2016, 04:30 PM
I repeated the second part of the first ep since I had issues with the framerate the first time.

You can find it as a highlight on my twitch account (https://www.twitch.tv/0nil/videos/highlights), it is not uploaded to youtube yet. I'm actually still trying to decide if its even worth uploading the Tips & Tricks parts or if I should only upload the Gameplay Analysis parts.

Merchant
November 21st, 2016, 09:28 PM
I repeated the second part of the first ep since I had issues with the framerate the first time.

You can find it as a highlight on my twitch account (https://www.twitch.tv/0nil/videos/highlights), it is not uploaded to youtube yet. I'm actually still trying to decide if its even worth uploading the Tips & Tricks parts or if I should only upload the Gameplay Analysis parts.

You must be referring to the Marlin analysis?

I'm going to make a times listing of the Balconies video.

Onil
November 25th, 2016, 03:36 PM
I will be streaming the second Ep of the show tonight at 19h00 PRT with gameplay analysis for the Burning Sands Prep Battle 2.

Feel free to jump in on twitch ;)

Jizzco
November 25th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Yay! Will jump on if I'm back from the pub. You have anyone joining you?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Onil
November 25th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Web will be joining me to comment on a few things close to the end of the stream.

Zrix
November 25th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Didn't you already do a stream with Web on Burning Sands, or did I have a stroke or something?

Alexswesnipr
November 25th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Squad training so I can't watch live:(

Onil
November 25th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Didn't you already do a stream with Web on Burning Sands, or did I have a stroke or something?

That was actually a Test Stream... we were just going through the topics and figuring some stuff out.

I forgot to make the stream invisible but thought it didn't matter since I really don't have that many subscribers at all and most were probably not even online or doing something else at the time. That's why it was also a total mess... I didn't even have the bookmarks.

I just wanted Web to go through the content with me to give me some feedback and to come up with stuff for him to comment on later on.

Jizzco
November 25th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Oh and I forgot to ask, will the video be watchable on twitch after stream?

Onil
November 25th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Yes all episodes are Highlights on Twitch and then uploaded to Youtube just like this one:

Play it Smart! Ep 1 Part 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6AG_pUzNPg)

Alexswesnipr
November 25th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Watched it now! Really enjoyable! I want MOAR. Also, fucking Soban...

Onil
November 25th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Watched it now! Really enjoyable! I want MOAR. Also, fucking Soban...

Tonight's stream on Twitch or the Youtube video of the first Ep?

Alexswesnipr
November 25th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Well, tonight's...

Onil
November 26th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Too bad Web had to lag out exactly when it's his time to talk :p

mectus11
November 26th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Bring out a guy from EMC and APN to discuss things from each side, what went wrong/right etc, that'll be cooler.

Maybe talk about how our mortars were non-stop firing :rolleyes:

Filamu
November 26th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Like we cared about mortars, just duck when you hear the sound close :P.

But yeah, one from each side would be cool. And more talk about infantry, they make up the main part of the teams.

Aleon
November 26th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't say firing for half the round and then giving up once you get counter-mortared once is really worth talking about. Although you might be right, the fact that you stopped straight away might be a mistake worth mentioning... :rolleyes:

I like that this is a thing. Obviously a lot of experimentation and episodes will be needed until this gets to a polished level, but it might prove something worth pursuing.

Maybe if we can get more people involved, you could incorporate clips from peoples' recordings. Not regularly, but if there is some key moment that was caught on tape, and the teams don't mind sharing it, it would be nice to have like a live commentary kind of playback alongside the tracker view. You can easily overlay the demo playback as a minimap using OBS.

mectus11
November 26th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't say firing for half the round and then giving up once you get counter-mortared once is really worth talking about. Although you might be right, the fact that you stopped straight away might be a mistake worth mentioning... :rolleyes:

If you watch the replay we couldn't set up again because there was a tank watching us plus we needed to watch the west to kill recon and call in our tanks to destroy two of your flanking squads to the west. :rolleyes:

Alexswesnipr
November 26th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Oh and our mortars didn't fire non-stop either? Nice try EMC.

Yeah, 0nil. If you want a small portion of my perspective in the future just say the word. You have the repair of the Apache up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXA4a10XRc

Spriggan44
November 26th, 2016, 04:11 PM
good episode
nice save of the apn cas chopper, we tryed the same with a cow a the mortar fob, but I think it explode

Onil
November 26th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Oh and our mortars didn't fire non-stop either? Nice try EMC.

Yeah, 0nil. If you want a small portion of my perspective in the future just say the word. You have the repair of the Apache up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXA4a10XRc

Yes, I considered showing the video of the engis repairing the CAS but it's extra work and focus and I'm still getting used to the setup.

Bringing more than one person into the discussion is also something that I want to do but it needs to be well moderated so that they don't speak on top of each-other. I'm still thinking of who I can ask and that will have the interest to join us from EMC.

Next Ep will be only tips and tricks related to Burning Sands. I don't actually have much content to show so if any of you guys have any suggestions, that would be great.

Alexswesnipr
December 2nd, 2016, 05:25 PM
I want to see you analyze previous PRT too. That's how I much I enjoy it.

Jizzco
December 2nd, 2016, 05:35 PM
If you don't have much content I'm sure we could gather some inf to talk about engagements in the city.

Onil
December 2nd, 2016, 08:12 PM
Too late :D

I got home really late today so didn't have time to prep. But I think I made it work...

ytman
December 3rd, 2016, 11:42 PM
Bring out a guy from EMC and APN to discuss things from each side, what went wrong/right etc, that'll be cooler.

Maybe talk about how our mortars were non-stop firing :rolleyes:

This would be really cool. I'd be more for this after the tournament though. Some secret shenanigans could be given up. Its one thing for me to see Senshi deleting FOBs but its something different for him to say yes we were deleting FOBs to keep them hidden from enemy recon. :D

Senshi
December 3rd, 2016, 11:56 PM
Yeah, fully agree. The amount of intel/information being available after a battle is borderline-too-much already with the introduction of the replay viewer. Any more wouldn't leave any "mystery" ;) .

WebCole
December 3rd, 2016, 11:58 PM
Well, as long as the participants keep it to analysing what's already publicly available it should be fine right?

Senshi
December 4th, 2016, 12:09 AM
True. But also, I currently spend almost every evening with PRT stuff. Don't really have the stomach for anything more.
Would love some casual banter/tea party with the enemy CO in principle, though. :) Mayber after the tournament. Or winter break? We'll see.

ytman
December 4th, 2016, 01:34 AM
Would love some casual banter/tea party with the enemy CO in principle, though. :)

Me as well.

Yrkidding
December 4th, 2016, 03:10 AM
Another thing to talk about at out winter 1.4 map review for sure, would be interesting.

Onil
December 9th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Going live in 20 minutes.

Had a busy week so didn't have any time to organize stuff for this, besides the events I noticed during the actual battle.

I will try to set something up for Wanda Shan with more people participating in a live discussion.

AlonTavor
December 9th, 2016, 07:02 PM
You're going live while everyone's watching dota? Bad timing.

Alexswesnipr
December 9th, 2016, 08:55 PM
you seemed to be havin some real trouble with your mic there...

Yrkidding
December 9th, 2016, 09:48 PM
you seemed to be havin some real trouble with your mic there...

Can confirm this one, I'm afraid. Got very scratchy at times.

Onil
December 9th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Yes, well... only Web let me know and by then it had been an issue for a while.

I tested the mic before the stream and it was working fine. I guess I might need to record the whole thing again if it's that bad. We'll see.

Onil
December 16th, 2016, 06:11 PM
No stream tonight. I'm a bit sick and don't have much to show anyway.

Yrkidding
December 16th, 2016, 06:16 PM
No stream tonight. I'm a bit sick and don't have much to show anyway.

Get well soon, looking forward to next week.

ytman
December 16th, 2016, 11:09 PM
I'd gladly be a guest if I can since I wont be the CO for it.

Alexswesnipr
January 11th, 2017, 11:39 AM
No wanda shan analysis?:(

Onil
January 11th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Nop, and I'm probably stopping this project.

Alexswesnipr
January 11th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Aw:(

Filamu
January 11th, 2017, 09:45 PM
.. :(

Vista
January 11th, 2017, 10:00 PM
http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/laughing-against-the-world.gif

Merchant
January 13th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Damn!, had some really good vids done here... sad to hear...

Senshi
January 13th, 2017, 11:16 AM
It is helluva lot of effort to prepare and do these kinds of sessions. I was afraid that a "burnout" would happen rather sooner than later. In the end, it takes a huge amount of free time away, and all that in addition to being PRT MGT, which itself is a huge timesink.

Onil
January 13th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Yes well, Web lagging and my mic fucking up didn't help either. Besides audio being cutout due to the music on the background/copyright or something.

All in all, it's too much effort for very little gain as not that many people were interested. It was worth the try but not worth the effort anymore.

Merchant
January 15th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Still a lot of great lessons to be learned from what you did put together, thanks for that.

Michael_Denmark
January 15th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Sad to hear you stop it Onil. And again, thank you for taking the initiative.

The idea is great. The two videos I have seen so far, are in their own way quite useful to watch. All those small tips and hints serve as a great inspiration. Plenty of ideas already made.

Hopefully you will decide to restart some day. Because now we have seen the idea executed, there is no doubt that the tournament needs it.

A really good idea.