PDA

View Full Version : Extra info for newer players

Merchant
October 3rd, 2016, 04:01 AM
I'm posting here links to two Word documents I'd done up to combine all of the named PR/BF2 buildings into one place for quick reference, and farther below a second document I'd made up to collect varied in-game PR info that likely won't be found in the PR Manual (http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf). The source of the photos in this first document are from MineralWouter's promising Wiki, which unfortunately appears to be stagnant: http://tournament.realitymod.com/wiki/index.php/PR%27s_Vocabulary

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cYJHnK5cux0gxs4oGWqxwQ7wPl7hPdPEUoNJUh60pmY/edit?usp=sharing

The intent of the first part of this post is to make this information available to all newer PR players who are not familiar with some of the building names. I'm sure that even these new players understand the importance of being familiar with this information.

Some of the buildings are widely known by more than one name, if someone from the tournament command believes that certain buildings should only have one designated name, or that some of these buildings should only be known by one particular name, perhaps they could suggest it in this thread.

The second part of this post is to link to a document that I'd created in order to make a collection of information that might not be found in the PR Manual (http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf), in most cases information that has been acquired by direct in-game experience or experimentation (such as SwampFox's experiments).

Obviously, the information in this document is not a substitute for the PR Manual (http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf), so any newer player who has not read through the PR Manual (http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf) should rather start there and leave this document for a later time.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gOzyxqcPQJitAFGQKqRTdxnOYKSzkk2S8YfvMltJk18/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe someone will find some use out of these docs.

Merchant
October 3rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
Star bldg image fixed? Seems to be from what I'm seeing, hopefully it's fixed for everyone as well.

ShanTheMan
October 3rd, 2016, 03:29 PM
thanks for the info.

Onil
October 3rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Thanks for sharing, I've also done such documents in the past for both buildings and vehicles but eventually they get lost in all the threads.

You seem to be missing the T-Shape. And the L building is most commonly called L-Shape as its faster to say. Apartments are Russian Apartments if you have both types in game and people don't understand which you're talking about because it is common to only say Apartments even for the Chinese ones.

For the Wrap-Around, I know everyone calls it that and I do too but I initially called it "Triple" as it was faster to say and it has 3 wrap-around balconies.

There are a few more buildings with call-signs but you have most already. If you want I can go in-game with you and tell you a few to be added.

Merchant
October 3rd, 2016, 05:47 PM
Onil;360662'] You seem to be missing the T-Shape.

There's some weird formatting crap going on, seems at times that I would see the images and text lined up in certain ways when logged in to Google, and then would see it differently when I accessed the document again when not logged in. Still working on fixing it, going to try again... the T-Shape was in there, and should have been fine. We'll see what happens after the next changes.

Onil;360662'] And the L building is most commonly called L-Shape as its faster to say. ...

Agreed, going to change the names to L-Shape, T-Shape, H-Shape only in the document.

Onil;360662'] Apartments are Russian Apartments if you have both types in game and people don't understand which you're talking about because it is common to only say Apartments even for the Chinese ones.

So if I understood you correctly, the ones I called Chinese Apartments in the document, you guys refer to those same ones as Russian Apartments? I'm pretty sure that's what you're saying here (or is there a 3rd type of apartment bldg that I'm not remembering?), so I'm going to change it in the document to Russian Apartments for now. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Onil;360662'] For the Wrap-Around, I know everyone calls it that and I do too but I initially called it "Triple" as it was faster to say and it has 3 wrap-around balconies.

Agreed again, Triple is a lot faster to communicate, would you rather see only that name in in the document?

Onil;360662'] There are a few more buildings with call-signs but you have most already. If you want I can go in-game with you and tell you a few to be added.

Sure, I'll gladly add in other building names. As a matter of fact, I'm off work early today, so expect to be home by 18:00 hrs PRT today, if that works for you, else we can try to schedule on TS?

Onil
October 3rd, 2016, 05:49 PM
No, the ones you called Apartments are the Russian Apartments. I also call them "Block".

You already had the Chinese Apartments and those are correct.

You can always have more than one name, people will still recognize it no matter which one you use. Everyone understands T-Shape is the T Building, etc. So keep what you have and add the alternative name.

Just poke me on TS and I will tell you if I'm not busy.

Merchant
October 3rd, 2016, 06:15 PM
Onil;360670']No, the ones you called Apartments are the Russian Apartments. I also call them "Block".

You can always have more than one name, people will still recognize it no matter which one you use. Everyone understands T-Shape is the T Building, etc. So keep what you have and add the alternative name.

Ok, fixed.

As for the names, one of the reasons I'd created the PR Buildings document was to hopefully standardize the building names to whatever extent possible, so that hopefully, eventually, each building would cease to have 5 different names, but be known by only one name, or at most, two. Three, four, five names for the same building is just ridiculous.

If we could at least get the tournament players to get used to a standard set of building names, I would think that would be quite useful.

Another issue that it would be nice to settle once and for all in the tournaments, is a standard floor/level naming scheme. It seems obvious that the only sensible naming convention would be: Ground, 1st, 2nd, etc.

Problem is that some people might call the ground floor "1st", then call the level just above ground as "2nd".

Or still yet, some might call the ground floor as "Ground", as it should be, but then call the floor just above Ground as "2nd floor".

So when a squad is approaching a T-Shape and a team-mate or squadmate tells the guys approaching the building that the enemy is hiding on the South side of the T, on the 2nd floor, do they have to throw grenades into the two floors above ground because they don't know for certain which 2nd floor is which, which 2nd floor he's referring to? :-/

Has this ever been resolved and a standard been devised for the purposes of the tournament? If it's for each squad to determine what works for them, then we would run into the situation as referred to in the paragraph above, wouldn't we? That doesn't seem very sensible for a tournament environment, does it?

Geronimo
October 3rd, 2016, 07:46 PM
Has this ever been resolved and a standard been devised for the purposes of the tournament? If it's for each squad to determine what works for them, then we would run into the situation as referred to in the paragraph above, wouldn't we? That doesn't seem very sensible for a tournament environment, does it?My personal workaround for this is "top floor minus one" or "ground level plus one". It's a workaround...

Merchant
October 3rd, 2016, 08:53 PM
My personal workaround for this is "top floor minus one" or "ground level plus one". It's a workaround...

What you are suggesting will work most of the time, since the majority of the multi-level enterable buildings are only 2-3 stories in height. Then again, top floor minus 3, or 4, still works (although, most anyone who's somewhere in the middle floors of a 6 or 7+ levels building usually won't know exactly which floor they're on anyway... they'll usually be guessing).

I think that what you're suggesting here is better... Ground +1 is foolproof (to most fools, surely).

I can still imagine some idiot mistaking "Top Floor" to mean the roof though, so then to proof against those fools, I guess I'd use "Roof -2".

Great suggestion, thanks!

Elusif
October 4th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Oh this is great to have all the names condensed like that. Thanks!

Merchant
October 4th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Oh this is great to have all the names condensed like that. Thanks!

np, wish I'd had something like that when I started PR...

ShanTheMan
October 16th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the docs. Ive got a link on my desktop now along w the manual and other good reads. When I 1st heard vets in mumble playing PR I'm thinking "where is that" or "wtf" is he talking about......almost like Rosetta Stone.... kudos and thanks

Merchant
October 17th, 2016, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the docs. Ive got a link on my desktop now along w the manual and other good reads. When I 1st heard vets in mumble playing PR I'm thinking "where is that" or "wtf" is he talking about......almost like Rosetta Stone.... kudos and thanks

Glad you can make use of the info, even though you're going to be misusing it -- using it on Team A ;-)

Makes a big difference when you can mentally recognize the buildings, makes it a bit easier to remember the particularities of them, and when someone reports enemy on that building's name, you can more quickly identify where.